8.3.12

What the Heck is “Mise En Place”? Efficient Techniques for the Kitchen

One of the first things we learned in cooking school was “mise en place" - literal translation means "putting things in their place".   The concept being that you have everything "in its place" prior to actually starting to cook.
 

If you have ever noticed on cooking shows, they always have their ingredients, cooking tools and pans at the ready.  This approach will definitely help limit stressful situations in the kitchen.  Cooking is a skill best approached with some preparation.  A little preparation goes a long way to keeping everything orderly and calm.

Before I begin cooking, I always start with reviewing the entire recipe.  Seems obvious, but I have had my share of "oh no - I had to add that after?!".    By reading the instructions from beginning to end, I start out understanding the whole picture which then allows me to focus on the details.  It is no different than applying your make-up; you need to have an idea of the look you want to create before you can select the appropriate foundation, eye shadow, lip colour, etc. 

Similarly, in preparing a recipe, I want to understand:

1.       What will the final product be?
2.       What ingredients are required?
3.       What tools are required?
4.       What steps are involved?
5.       How long will it take me?

For example, if I am making a loaf of French bread, then I need to be sure I have flour, yeast (that has not expired) and salt on hand.  I will also need my stand mixer with the hook attachment (not required, but helps expedite the process).    

Once I have confirmed I have all the required ingredients and tools, now I need to focus on the steps I need to follow for each of these ingredients.  This allows me to gauge whether I have enough time to dedicate to the recipe. 

Since bread requires a couple of hours to double proof, by having read the recipe in advance, I can set out a game plan:  start the dough in the morning, allow it to rise while I am out getting groceries and then let it rise again while I am doing laundry.  Or it allows me to decide to make it another time!  Having read the recipe ahead of time I can confirm that I have all required ingredients (or make substitutions if required), validate whether I have sufficient time to commit to the recipe (especially if the recipe is time sensitive in nature) and ensure I have the appropriate tools to get the job done.  If I need to allow the butter to come to room temperature, I do not want to find this out when I am in the throes of making the cake.

If you are anything like me, you may get your desire to cook on the spur of the moment and there is nothing that deflates an urge like a roadblock.

Key steps for mise en place:

1.       Read through the entire recipe - ingredients, steps and tools.
2.       Preheat oven (if applicable).
3.       Prepare ingredients.  This means clean and cut any vegetables and herbs, measure out liquids and dry ingredients, bring any meat or dairy to room temperature, etc.
4.       Organize all equipment and tools required for the recipe.

Key tools for mise en place:

Prep Bowls - I was gifted this set at Christmas and I absolutely love them!  In two short months, I have already lost count of the number of times and uses I have relied on this set.


Cutting Board - A good cutting board is typically not inexpensive, but if you take good care of your board it will definitely be worth the investment.  I'm going on 10 years with mine and still appreciate the craftsmanship of the piece.  I gifted this one to my meat loving father.


Chef's & Pairing Knives - these are two of my essentials in the kitchen and are heavily relied on during mise en place.  Knives are such a personal thing - no one can really say what knife will be best for you.  A trip to a few stores to check out the selection and get a feel for which sits best in your hand is highly recommended.  My one guidance is to purchase a knife with a full tang - meaning that the metal is one continuous piece running the entire length of the handle.  Keep in mind that feel is more important than cost in this case.



Measuring Cups & Spoons - Still love my set after 8+ years :)


Peeler - been using one similar to this since I graduated from cooking school!



No comments:

Post a Comment