2.3.12

La Banquise – The Ultimate Poutine Experience


This is one of those dishes that you either love or completely hate - there seldom seems to be any in between! 

I'm generally very open to trying different dishes and from various locals; however, in this instance, there really is no better place to have a poutine than in Quebec (it is after all where it was invented!). 

For those who have never heard of poutine, the classic version consists of French fries, fresh cheese curds and gravy.  I've heard it referred to as a heart attack waiting to happen, and, indeed, the dish is certainly not low-cal.  The point is not to eat this on a regular basis, but rather approach it as the sumptuous treat that it is :)  Perhaps I am a little biased as I grew up on the stuff and couldn't wait to attend my brothers' hockey games as arenas have some of the BEST poutines.  Even as a kid, food was such a treat.

The all-time best place (IMO) is La Banquise, located on Rachel East in Montreal.  They have an extensive poutine menu to choose from (28 options in all), but my fave remains the Bacon & Onion Poutine.  My better half prefers the B.O.M., which has the addition of merguez sausage.  The restaurant is open 24 hours, perfect spot after a night on the town ;) 

I forewarn, there is often a line-up (at all hours), but definitely well worth the wait.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment