13.3.12

GP's My Father's Daughter


I'm not entirely sure why Gwyneth Paltrow gets such a bad rap for the various activities she explores outside of the film industry.  People are not one-dimensional, so it is only natural that she would have diverse interests.  I, for one, really appreciate her foray into cooking and blogging.
 
When I recently travelled to London, I had remembered reading her two GOOP newsletters on places to visit in London and included some suggestions in my itinerary.  At the very least, I felt like I was getting recommendations from someone who at least lived in the city.

As for her cookbook, I always ask for cookbooks at Christmas time and this year was no exception.  I will admit that I felt that I was taking a chance including it on my holiday wish list, but in the end, I am thrilled with it thus far.  I have made about 10 recipes from her book and not one has failed me!  I can't even say that of my favourites.

Most of the recipes include ingredients I already regularly have on hand, with the exception of some recipes included in the baking section.  Spelt flour, barley flour and brown rice syrup are not common purchases; in fact, I don't believe I have ever purchased them.  The book does, however, include a convenient substitute chart in case you don’t have any of these specialty ingredients. 

This cookbook seems to be giving me the kick in the derrière to finally action what has been on my mind for some time.  I've been curious about spelt and barley flour, but incorporating those ingredients feels somewhat like stepping outside my comfort zone.  I like my AP flour, butter and white sugar - they make really yummy desserts!  But healthy and different ingredients do not necessarily equate to yucky, even though it often seems that way.  Having seen her on Spain…On the Road Again, it was clear to me that this woman was a foodie.  And well, if any fellow foodie says they are yummy, I am tempted to believe they may very well be!

Perhaps it is her philosophy about food, family and love that appeals to me, as it aligns with my own approach, but you can sense that she has a real passion for food and healthy food at that.  Although I am not cooking for children, cooking for my big guy can sometimes feel like I am navigating the picky habits of a child!!  So I appreciate some of the tips and tricks she shares on how to incorporate healthy meals in her family's repertoire.  Case in point - there is a recipe for Kale Chips and I was completely dubious as to how good they would actually be.  They are absolutely delish and definitely addictive! 

So if you had been holding off picking up a copy of My Father's Daughter, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Enjoy!

P.S. I gather proper protocol when doing a review (official or not) is to disclose whether you are making any money off the review.  This is my personal review of GP's My Father's Daughter and I have not been compensated in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment