5.5.14

Coleslaw

I've been tinkering in the kitchen today trying out a new rib recipe, which also means whipping up a batch of coleslaw.  In my household coleslaw is the accompaniment of choice and with BBQ season rapidly heading our way, I thought a post on the crunchy side would be apropos. 


The thing with coleslaw is that I never actually measure my ingredients.  Since the size of cabbage varies, I typically start by adding a little of each ingredient until I achieve the taste and consistency I am looking for. Since my better half prefers creamy coleslaw and I prefer a vinegar based version, I compromise and aim for a 50/50 ratio of mayonnaise and vinegar.  


I've included the following recipe more as a guideline of the main ingredients used (and a reminder to myself!).  Do feel free to play with this mix based on your preferences. 

Enjoy!

Coleslaw

Serves 6 – 8  
Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – None

Ingredients

  • 1 small head cabbage
  • ½ small onion
  •  ¼ cup Mayonnaise
  •  ¼ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
  •  1 Tsp. Sugar
  • 10 grinds Black Pepper

Preparation

  1. Shred the cabbage and onion in a food processor or with a box grater.  
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, onion, mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper – toss to combine. 
  3. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinade for a few hours before serving.

* Notes

  • The measurements are approximate as the size of cabbage and onions tend to vary.  Taste as you go and increase/ decrease quantities to suit your preference.
  • The pictures were actually taken back in 2012 and the recipe included was based on using a really small head of cabbage.


No comments:

Post a Comment