14.5.12

Broccoli Soup



Soups are my go-to option when I am looking to whip something up that is nutritious and requires little time commitment on my part. 
I am a huge lover of broccoli; however, my counterpart really only likes the green stuff if it is cooked until mushy and served with a cheese sauce (not my fave).  This soup has been my compromise!  I kicked it up a notch with some red pepper flakes and added some great depth of flavour by tossing in my leftover Parmesan cheese rinds.  That’s right, don’t throw those nobly hard ends out, they are perfect for flavouring stews, sauces and soups.  I keep mine in the freezer until ready to use.

Enjoy!

Broccoli Soup

Serves 6

Preparation Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 20 Minutes

Ingredients

§  1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
§  1 Tbsp. Butter
§  1 Spanish Onion – sliced
§  1 Head of Broccoli or 1 Bag Frozen Broccoli
§  1 Liter Vegetable Stock
§  ¼ Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (or to taste)
§  3 Garlic Cloves – Finely Diced
§  Parmesan Rind
§  Salt & Pepper





Preparation


1.      Add oil and butter to Creuset set on medium heat.  Add the onions and cook until translucent.  Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue cooking another minute or 2.

2.      Add the broccoli, cover and steam for a minute.  Add the vegetable stock, parmesan rind, salt & pepper – bring to a boil and then reduce and simmer covered for 10 minutes.

3.      Puree soup with a hand held blender until smooth.  Check the seasonings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment